Thunder Bay ON
Contract –Part –Time, Casual Hours
Magnus Theatre is the Professional Theatre of Northwestern Ontario. We present high quality theatrical productions to our community: productions that engage and entertain. For the past 46 years, Magnus has brought national and international performing and technical talent to Thunder Bay to produce theatrical classics, modern award winning shows, and new Canadian and Indigenous works.
We are seeking a qualified Scenic Painter to lead and work with our Production Team for our 6 Mainstage Productions, Summer Production, and various special events throughout our season. The Scenic Painter shall work under the management of the Artistic Director and the supervision of the Production Manager. The primary responsibilities include: to paint all scenic elements for Magnus Theatre as required; To work with the Head of Properties to ensure that any props elements that need painting are completed to the high standards set by Magnus Theatre; to lead or assist with any work relating to scenic painting at Magnus Theatre; to represent Magnus Theatre in a professional manner
– B.A. in Theatre Production – specializing in Scenic Painting and/or Equivalent
– Experience in Theatrical Production (Professional or Amateur)
– First Aid Training
– Ontario Work At Height Certification
- Painting for artistic and stage design objectives
- Working with scale technical drawings provided by set designers
- Creative problem solving
- Ability to work on your feet for long stretches of time (5 hours)
- Working with designers to achieve their vision
- Basic stagecraft, and familiarity with technical theatre operation
- Adapting to a flexible schedule
- Ability to work evenings and weekends occasionally, in addition to a regular work week.
- Ability to operate, and familiarity with, power and hand tools, and heavy shop equipment, and air compression tools.
List of Duties and Responsibilities:
- To work with all members of the Production Team, including the Artistic Director, Designers, and other Magnus Staff when necessary.
- To assist the Head Carpenter to construct the scenery for Magnus Theatre as required, in concordance with the Set Designer and Artistic Director’s visions and designs.
- To assist, when required, with the base coating of scenery and construction of props.
- To complete all tasks in a timely and professional manner
- To maintain a clean, safe, and secure working environment in all job locations.
- To maintain all tools and Scenic Painting equipment so that they operate safely and effectively. When tools become damaged, or begin to show signs of disrepair, to alert the Production Manager, so that repair or replacement actions can take place.
- To immediately inform the Production Manager or any of the Management Team of any situation that may be hazardous. All accidents/incidents shall be reported, in a timely fashion, to either the Production Manager or Technical Director.
- To assist in the taking of inventory of equipment and supplies prior to and at the conclusion of each season.
- To work, when required, on maintenance and other related projects on the Theatre premises, when decided necessary by the Management team, and when it does not conflict with primary mainstage production duties.
- To abide by all Company policies and procedures.
- To uphold the professional image and name of the Theatre in good faith during all dealings with staff, guest artists, suppliers, and other theatre companies.
- To avoid and declare all conflicts of interest or potential conflicts of interest.
- To assist with any other special events (i.e. fundraising events for the company: yard sale, community show; special presentation events not part of regularly scheduled mainstage season) as general labour/assistant on an “as-needed” basis.
Indefinite contract term with casual work hours contingent on Magnus’ production requirements.
How to apply: Interested candidates are invited to apply by submitting a cover letter and résumé by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, August 20th, 2018. Please note: The deadline for applications may expire before the posted date if a suitable candidate is found. Magnus Theatre thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.