Contract – Part-Time, Casual Hours
Magnus Theatre is the Professional Theatre of Northwestern Ontario. We present high quality theatrical productions to our community: productions that engage and entertain. For the past 46 years, Magnus has brought national and international performing and technical talent to Thunder Bay to produce theatrical classics, modern award winning shows, and new Canadian and Indigenous works.
We are seeking a Wardrobe Assistant to work with our Head of Wardrobe. The Wardrobe Assistant shall work under the supervision of the Head of Wardrobe. The Production Manager and the Technical Director will be the reporting bodies as the heads of the Technical Department.
The primary responsibilities include: to assist the Head of Wardrobe in constructing all wardrobe elements for Magnus Theatre as required; to work with the Head of Wardrobe to prepare Costume Parade, Backstage and Dressing Room Wardrobe Areas, assist with laundry, and other duties necessary to the completion of the Head of Wardrobe’s duties to any given Magnus Production; to represent Magnus Theatre in a professional manner
– B.A. in Theatre Production – specializing in Wardrobe and/or equivalent
– Experience in Fashion Design and Construction
– Pattern making
– Working with scale technical drawings provided by costume designers
– Creative problem solving
– Ability to work with multi-disciplinary performers
– Ability to work on your feet for long stretches of time (5 hours)
– Working with performers assisting with costuming
– Experience with a wide variety of sewing and wardrobe construction techniques
– Adapting to a flexible schedule
– Ability to work Evenings and Weekends occasionally, in addition to a regular
List of Duties and Responsibilities:
- To assist in the Design and construction of wardrobe pieces for all Magnus Mainstage Productions
- To assist with any backstage Wardrobe changes during show runs, if deemed necessary by both the Head of Wardrobe and the Technical Production Manager
- To do show laundry, when required, at the request of the Head of Wardrobe
- To complete all tasks in a timely and professional manner
- To maintain a clean, safe, and secure working environment in all job locations.
- To maintain all tools and equipment so that they operate safely and efficiently. When tools become damaged, or begin to show signs of disrepair, to alert the Head of Wardrobe or Technical Production Manager so that repair or replacement actions can take place.
- To immediately inform the Technical Production Manager or any of the Management Team of any situation that may be hazardous. All accidents/incidents shall be reported, in a timely fashion, to either the Production Technical Manager or Assistant Technical Director.
- To abide by all Company policies and procedures.
- To uphold the professional image and name of the Theatre in good faith during all dealings with staff, guest artists, suppliers, and other theatre companies.
- To avoid and declare all conflicts of interest or potential conflicts of interest.
- To assist with any other special events (i.e. fundraising events for the company: yard sale, community show; special presentation events not part of regularly scheduled mainstage season) as general labour/assistant on an “as-needed” basis.
Indefinite contract term with casual work hours contingent on Magnus’ production requirements.
How to apply: Interested candidates are invited to apply by submitting a cover letter and résumé by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, August 20th, 2018. Please note: The deadline for applications may expire before the posted date if a suitable candidate is found. Magnus Theatre thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.