Magnus has revamped the YOUNG PLAYWRIGHT’S CHALLENGE, after a hiatus of more than a decade. Scripts undergo an adjudication process, and a winner and two runners up will be chosen to have their scripts workshopped at Magnus Theatre. A public reading will follow. First place will be awarded $500, second place $300 and third place $200.
The Young Playwrights’ Challenge is a component of Magnus Theatre’s New Play Development Program and Theatre in Education programs which also include year-round theatre classes for all ages, March break and summer drama camps, workshops in the schools, and two annual School Tour productions that are performed in schools throughout Ontario.
- Eligible playwrights must be between the ages of 13 and 19
- Submissions must be suitable for a production on stage
- Scripts containing more than eight characters on stage simultaneously will not be considered for this challenge
- a) Submissions must be typed (to be submitted in person, by mail or e-mail)
b) A list of characters must be included before the first page of dialogue
c) All pages must be numbered
- Include a page of information stating your name, age, title of your play, e-mail address and phone number
- Collaborative efforts are eligible as long as all participants are within the required age range
- Please submit original work; no adaptations will be accepted.
November 2nd, 2018
For more information on the Young Playwrights’ Challenge, or to submit your script, e-mail email@example.com
Submissions can also be mailed to:
Attention: Young Playwrights’ Challenge
10 South Algoma St.
Thunder Bay, ON