Magnus Theatre presents the 2020/2021 YOUNG PLAYWRIGHT’S CHALLENGE – A play writing competition for teens, aged 13-19. Scripts will undergo an adjudication process, and a winner and two runners up will be chosen to have their scripts workshopped at Magnus Theatre. A public performance will follow. First place will be awarded $500, second place $300 and third place $200.
The Young Playwright’s Challenge is a component of Magnus Theatre’s New Play Development and Theatre in Education programs.
- Eligible playwrights must be between the ages of 13 and 19
- Submissions must be suitable for a production on stage
- Scripts containing more than six characters on stage simultaneously will not be considered for this challenge
- Submissions must be typed (to be submitted by email, mail or in person)
- A list of characters must be included before the first page of dialogue
- All pages must be numbered
- Include a page of information stating your name, age, title of your play, and e-mail address
- Collaborative efforts are eligible as long as all participants are within the required age range
- Please submit original work; no adaptations will be accepted.
Please note: there is no length requirement for scripts, though long scripts (over 25 pages) may be shortened into a “reading version” for performance.
For more information on the Young Playwrights’ Challenge, or to submit your script, Email Danielle Chandler, Theatre in Education Director.
DEADLINE – January 3rd, 2021
Check out the 2019-2020 Young Playwright’s Challenge Virtual Showcase!