We are seeking a qualified Scenic Painter to lead and work with our Production Team for our 6 Mainstage Productions, Summer Production, and various special events throughout our season. The Scenic Painter shall work under the management of the Artistic Director and the supervision of the Production Manager.
Thunder Bay ON
Contract – 40 weeks
Magnus Theatre is the Professional Theatre of Northwestern Ontario. We present high quality theatrical productions to our community: productions that engage and entertain. For the past 46 years, Magnus has brought national and international performing and technical talent to Thunder Bay to produce theatrical classics, modern award winning shows, and new Canadian and Indigenous works.
We are seeking a qualified Head Carpenter to lead and work in our Carpentry Shop, fabricating and installing sets, furniture and custom pieces for our 6 Mainstage Productions, Summer Production, and various special events throughout our season. The Head Carpenter shall work under the management of the Artistic Director and the supervision of the Production Manager.
- 3-5 years professional experience as a carpenter (construction or Theatrical/Film/Dance)
- First Aid Training
- Ontario Working At Height Certification
- Valid Driver Licence: “G” level or higher
- Successful applicant will have to complete a Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC)
- Joinery, cabinetry, furniture building;
- Working with scale technical drawings as provided by set designers;
- Creative problem solving;
- Creation of standard stage carpentry stock items, and custom pieces for each Production;
- Providing direction to employees, co-op students, and volunteers;
- Maintaining a budget;
- Adapting to a flexible schedule;
- Ability to work evenings and weekends occasionally, in addition to a regular work week;
- Ability to operate, at a professional level, power and hand tools, and heavy shop equipment, and air compression tools.
- Constructing scenery, furnishings, props and related primary and secondary structural elements for theatre production sets as required, under the guidance and approval of the set designer and/or supervisor;
- Assisting with development and monitoring of set-build work schedules and project budgets;
- Applying base coatings to scenery, props, and furnsishings as required;
- Assisting with ‘fly-rigging’ of all scenery and props that require ‘flying’;
- Providing direction and monitoring the work of crew staff, volunteers, and co-op placements engaged in carpentry and set building activities.
August, 2018 to June 9th, 2019 (with opportunity for seasonal renewals)
How to apply: Interested candidates are invited to apply by submitting a cover letter and résumé by email to email@example.com by Monday, August 13th, 2018. Please note: The deadline for applications may expire before the posted date if a suitable candidate is found. Magnus Theatre thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.